(305) 670-9009

7700 North Kendall Drive,
Suite 505
Miami, Florida 33156
Map & Directions

Crew Member Claims

Miami Maritime Attorney Robert Gross  Handles a Full Range of Personal Injury Claims for Cruise Ship Crew Members, Yacht Crew Members, Tanker and Barge Crew Members, as well as Longshoremen and Harbor Workers

When your employment is on or near the water, the work is not only hard, but dangerous. If you work on a cruise ship, yacht, tanker or barge, or if you're a longshoreman or harbor worker, it's important to know the obligations your employer has to keep you safe. Should an accident happen and you sustain an injury, your employer is obligated by federal and maritime law to provide for your medical treatment and rehabilitation, as well as compensation for lost wages.

Crew members who work aboard vessels on navigable waters used for interstate commerce – oceans, rivers, lakes and canals can be considered navigable – are considered seamen and are protected under the Jones Act 46 U.S.C.§ 30104, a federal law enacted by the U.S. Congress. This act dictates that seaman have access to prompt and thorough medical attention if they are injured or become ill during the course of fulfilling their job duties. The medical coverage  is to continue until the injured worked achieves a full recovery – either to his uninjured state or to a point where medical professionals agree that the worker is stable and no further improvement is likely. All expenses related to the medical treatment and rehabilitation is to be covered by the employer. In addition, the employer is required to pay a small stipend equivalent to the cost of room and board that the worker would have received as part of his job duties.

Longshoreman and other harbor workers also have physically dangerous workload. They, however, are not generally protected by the Jones Act 46 U.S.C.§ 30104, but a different federal regulation called the Longshore Harbor Worker Compensation Act. Like Jones Act 46 U.S.C.§ 30104 beneficiaries, the Longshore Harbor Workers Act requires employers to provide for wage compensation, medical treatment and rehabilitation of injured workers. In addition, longshoremen and harbor workers are entitled to compensation from third parties that may have been involve the circumstances of the injury – such as the vessel operator that a longshoreman may have been unloading cargo for.

If you work on a commercial vessel – cruise ship, yacht, tanker or barge – or if you're a longshoreman or harbor worker and you're injured on the job, it can be in your best interest to consult a personal injury attorney experienced in maritime law to be sure you receive the maximum benefits and compensation provided to you under federal regulations. Robert Gross is an experienced maritime and admiralty law attorney in Miami, having built his practice protecting injured seaman and harbor workers for more than 30 years. Call 305-670-9009 today to schedule a confidential and free appointment to discuss the injuries you incurred while working as a:

  • Seaman
  • Cruise ship crew member
  • Yacht crew
  • Tanker worker
  • Barge worker
  • Longeshoreman
  • Harbor worker

All cases are handled on a contingency basis – meaning you pay nothing unless attorney Robert Gross is able to recover monetary damages for you.

Attorney Robert C. Gross is a Miami, Florida maritime, admiralty attorney experienced in cruise ship claims, cruise slip and fall, cruise trip and fall claims, passenger injury claims, seaman injury claims. Our recent cases include cruise ship claims against Norwegian Cruise Lines, Carnival Cruise Lines, Celebrity, Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and are based on passenger injury and cruise accidents. Call Robert C. Gross at 305-670-9009 if you need a cruise ship passenger injury lawyer.

Begin your free consultation with a Florida serious injury maritime attorney

If you need the assistance or legal advice of an experienced maritime and admiralty lawyer, please contact the law offices of Robert C. Gross, P.A., today at 305-670-9009.